Position: Editorial Assistant
Company: Fostering Media Connections
Compensation: $20 per hour, up to 20 hours per week
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that harnesses the power of journalism and media to improve the lives of vulnerable children, youth and their families. FMC seeks an editorial assistant who is passionate about using language and social media to connect people to resources and information that makes a difference in their lives.
FMC publishes high impact award-winning journalism on two distinct platforms: The Imprint, a news website, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine.
Those stories are then distributed with mainstream and niche media partners in an effort to change the overarching child welfare and juvenile justice narratives toward solutions, not simply problems. In addition, FMC educates members of the media, quickly allowing them to produce more contextualized and impactful stories.
Through its Youth Voice Program, FMC trains youth involved in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems the basics of journalism so they can take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives.
In 2017, FMC began the first phase of a national expansion. The organization has staff in Arizona, Michigan, New York, Florida and Wyoming, in addition to its home base in California.
The editorial assistant will work closely with team members all over the country to support the production of Fostering Families Today magazine (published six times per year) and develop the magazine’s social media presence.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to build out social media with the goal of diversifying educational opportunities for adoptive, foster care and kinship families that supports the mission of Fostering Families Today magazine.
- Moderate existing social media groups.
- Write articles for Fostering Families Today that educate, inform and inspire foster, adoptive and kinship families.
- Assist the editor in editorial calendar and story development throughout the year.
- Work with the editor to develop innovative ways to expand Fostering Families Today’s reach through podcasts, social media, webinars, websites and other platforms.
- Act as lead in the creation of PDF downloads and ebooks to be distributed online.
- Support business development through research, as needed.
- Other tasks may include copy editing, layout/design and web design.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field. (Experience may be substituted for a degree.)
- Strong writing skills.
- Deep understanding of social media and eagerness to learn how to maximize new platforms as they emerge.
- Team player who works well independently but does not hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification.
- Copy editing, design and web design skills a plus.
How to Apply
Use our application form here: https://airtable.com/shrJ0WaQH2jmllF7Z