Intern(s) learn from and support the Fostering Families Today editorial staff. Interns are expected to work 10-15 hours per week for 10-12 weeks in a virtual environment, which requires students to be self-driven to meet the demands of a small, deadline-focused editorial team.
Interns should be enthusiastic, have a keen interest in journalism or possess strong writing skills. Junior or senior-level college and masters-level students pursuing degrees in journalism, social media or business would be a perfect fit for this position.
All interns will be provided with online learning tools. This is an opportunity for a motivated and detail-oriented individual who wants to make an impact while building their resume and gaining a broad set of experiences relevant to nonprofit journalism and media. Internships are remote.
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that uses journalism to lead the conversation around children, youth and families in America. FMC publishes a daily news site, The Imprint, and a print magazine, Fostering Families Today. Both have won numerous awards, and have impacted policy on the local, state and federal level. FMC also trains youth who have experienced homelessness, the child welfare and/or juvenile justice systems on the basics of journalism so they can take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives. Our staff are located in Arizona, California, Wyoming, Michigan, Florida, New York and Minnesota.
- Assist in and learn about the editing process.
- Write at least 2-3 articles.
- Submit ideas for increased social media content, magazine articles and ways to enhance the overall publication.
- Support the editorial team in the development of social media outreach, research, webinar preparation.
- Interest in journalism, communications or related field
- Currently pursuing a post secondary education at a university or college
- Eagerness to learn journalism skills and techniques that can enhance your job skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Reliable, able to work independently
- Unafraid to ask questions, think critically
- Experience with and knowledge of computer operation; comfort using Google Drive and Microsoft Office
The Fostering Families Today intern will earn a stipend to be paid in installments after the completion of assignments. Stipend amount depends on length of internship, typically 10-12 weeks. FMC is also happy to work with your school to complete any paperwork necessary to earn credit for your time with us.
Fostering Media Connections is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. FMC does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind in the workplace.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please fill out our application form and upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) journalism clips or professional writing samples here: https://airtable.com/shrJ0WaQH2jmllF7Z. Select Fostering Families Today Internship as the position you’re applying for.